Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The Last Time I Cried

I guess the last time I cried was when my dad died in October, 2010 (since I don't think the cool air from my air conditioner finding my eyes and making me tear up counts).

We, my brother & sisters & I, all thought my mom would go first because she's lived in an Alzheimer's facility for years now & is as frail as can be. His going to see mom probably just wore Dad down. I was taking him every day to sit with her; he would stay from about 10:00AM to 2:00PM, when I would go back & pick him up.

Other things weighed on Dad--his cancer, strokes, old age (85), fretting about Mom. When he got very bad off, it was only a matter of a few days until he was gone. Fortunately, the doctors were able to tell us when his last day would be, so we all got to be by his bedside for hours & hours. He kept his good sense & good sense of humor up to the last, until they boosted his morphine, which left him pretty much sleeping until he passed peacefully away just after midnight.

That's the last time I cried. What about you?

I didn't know what to blog about today. I found a page that gives you 100 blog ideas. This was number one on that list. I knew it would be difficult reliving that sad night in October.

Pic shows Dad being silly in his Italian World War II helmet. This shows his typical expression--a little smile. He was always in a good mood.

My home

No comments: