Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The last time I laughed?

This is question #2 from the webpage Can't think of a blog post: Here's 100 suggestions.

The last time I laughed was over breakfast, at one of my usual morning places, over the obituaries in the morning paper.

My whole family have always been obit readers; probably because my parents always read them as we kids were growing up. We're always asking one another, Did you see that he or she died? and what have you. The main reason I read them, is that you can often find something funny in them, believe it or not.

For instance, whoever wrote this lady who shall go unnamed's obituary, probably some close family member, mentioned that, among the handful of things she "absolutely loved" in life were Elvis impersonators & cream gravy. That struck me as funny & I laughed. You see, an obituary is no inexpensive thing, and to list these two things among the dearly departed's few great loves in life cost a pretty penny, no doubt. Now I think Elvis mimics & gravy are great things, and that this dead lady was probably great too, but I just wish she had gotten out more.

Another part of the question was what laughter means to me. I think it means that I'm still alive & still have a reason to go on; after all, they say fifteen minutes of laughter equal one night's sleep, so I think it's good for what ails me. Hardyharhar!

My luxurious home

No comments: