Wednesday, October 23, 2013

My favorite book as a child?

What was my favorite book as a child and do I have a copy of it?

This is question #14 from the webpage Can't think of a blog post: Here's 100 suggestions.

It was this old red Daniel Boone book I found in the local library; can't recall the title. It's not the example shown above; after all, it was just a red book with no cover graphic, so there's nothing to show.

What was cool was what was inside. There were all these wonderful line drawings of Dan doing his thing, from youth to manhood, much of it probably far-fetched. One I recall was of his having "kilt a bar on this tree," corny stuff like that. The main thing is the darn thing smelled so good! You know that smell . . .

It turned me on to reading all the Boone books they had at our library, and then on to Davy Crockett. This and reading the backs of baseball & football cards made me a devouring reader all my life. Thanks, Dan'l. No, I don't have a copy of it; wish I did.

My luxurious home

No comments: